Friday, February 20, 2009

'Fun-Guy'

Biology is a trip. That's right, you read it correctly...it's a trip. At least it is with Lionel! I thought I'd dread doing high school science, but you know what? It's so much fun!! We are taking it slowly this year due to the craziness in our lives, but we're thoroughly enjoying what we've been able to learn so far. This week we are studying 'Kingdom Fungi'.

I'm not sure reading the book out loud with Lionel is a good thing though. Every time I get to the word 'fungi' we both crack up due to Lionel's wisecracks. It's a riot. Here's a few examples of why I can't seem to read it without laughing:

Mommy (reading the book): "One reason fungi are so plentiful is that they have multiple means of reproduction at their disposal."
Lionel: "Yes, but they also need a 'fun-gal' if it's going to work."

Mommy: "Sometimes you can find mushrooms that grow in an almost perfect circle...these rings are often called fairy rings..."
Lionel: "That's 'cause everyone loves hanging around the fun-guy!"

Mommy: "Often referred to as the 'club fungi,' members of phylum Basidiomycota form spores on club-shaped cells known as basidia.
Lionel: "I wonder if they'd let me join since I'm such a fun-guy?"

Do you see what I have to put up with, with this kid!?!?! I bet as soon as he heard the words 'club fungi' he tuned right out!! He comes up with these funny remarks right in the middle of our lesson about fungus and mushrooms. Don't even get him started on the 'puffballs', 'shelf fungi' or the 'slime molds'. ha ha

(By the way, all these passages were taken from his Apologia Biology book. Good stuff!)

All kidding aside, we are slowly catching up in some areas of school that we've been behind in. Lionel finished his Spanish already, so now I've got to order the next year. He loves loves the program we're using for foreign language, and he's anxious to get started on the next level already.

Sweet-Pea is still all about horses! She drew me another horse today to add to my collection. She's getting better - horses are NOT easy to draw, especially when you're only 7. We have been reading Black Beauty...great book. As soon as we finish reading for the day, she usually runs up to her bedroom, pulls out her Breyers Horses and starts to play. She is also doing much better in her reading. It's taken her a lot longer to learn to read than Lionel did. I don't have the time with her that I did with him. Fortunately she has learned to read anyhow, despite the difficult couple of years we've had as a family.

God is good, He is faithful and I know He has given both of my children wisdom and knowledge that many children don't get from going through hard times. Taking care of my Dad taught them things a text book could never even come close to! Now that we've passed that phase of our life, they are picking up the pieces of education they missed out on....without problems! I'm so proud of both Lionel and Sweet-Pea. They truly are gifts from the Lord and I am honored to be not only their Mom but their teacher.

Now...let me see if I can get through the rest of 'Kingdom Fungi' without laughing.

No comments: