Tuesday, October 27, 2009

I must be crazy...

....my new neighbor thinks I am!

As you know, we recently moved to a new house in a brand new neighborhood. We only had 1 neighbor until last month...now we have 2. There are 4 more houses going up, one is completed but not sold, and yet another is sold but not completed (go figure). Anyhow, the people who purchased the unfinished home were outside the other day, so we went out to welcome them and introduce ourselves. They were very nice and we talked for a while before she asked that dreaded question....that's when it all changed!

Her question: "Where do your kids go to school, and how do they like the school system here?"

I only dread those questions with strangers because I don't know how they're going to react to my answer. I simply said "My children are homeschooled." Let me tell you, that woman's face changed quicker than you can blink. She looked at me as if I had 2 heads!!! She didn't hold back either...at least most people are kind enough to think I'm crazy without showing it. She even did the 'ole eyebrow lift and nose squint. Honestly I just wanted to smack her and tell her to stop being so judgmental, but I was kind and I told her that we love it and that my kids are 'normal' so she need not worry...just to try and lighten the mood. That's when I got the eyebrow lift for the 2nd time. Ugh!

I'm sure she was thinking in her head...."oh great, we have weird neighbors. The wife will be walking around in her denim jumper, the kids will be shy, in a bubble, and they'll be raising goats in their backyard." ha ha! We are so the opposite of the stereotypical homeschooler (where ever they are!!) it's not funny. I don't wear denim jumpers, my daughter (although she does have long hair) doesn't wear a dress 24/7 with her hair in a bun, and we don't raise farm animals. We are a normal American family who simply chose to keep our children home from the public school system. We did look into private school before thinking about homeschooling. Since it wasn't a decision we took lightly, we prayed about it for a long time before making the decision. We figured that since the only decent private school in the area cost almost as much as it was to send your children to college, that homeschooling would be best. If they went to private school, I'd have to work (which is fine) but all the money I'd earn would go out the window towards school...so why bother.

Some people still think we're totally crazy, but for the most part our family, and close friends respect our decision and are amazed at how we're doing. Homeschooling is difficult, it's not easy and it's a huge sacrifice, but it's SO worth it. No, it's not for everyone, but for us it works, it's fun and I love seeing my children grow and mature...mentally, physically, emotionally, and spiritually. I love it when they 'get it' and grasp a new concept. I love to see them learning, studying and working hard. No one knows them better than we do, so we know what they need to grow and mature into what God wants them to be. There's nothing better than that. If they grow up to be successful (not necessarily financially...but in every aspect of life), I've done my job well. Only after time and lots of prayers, will I see the fruits of my labor. It's been over 10 years so far...and by the time I'm done with Sweet-Pea, I'll have homeschooled them for 20 years!! (If I add up all MY education plus teaching them, I'll have been 'in school' for 49 years! Wow!!)

I'm interested to see how our neighbors react once they actually move here into their new home. It may not be for a while, but I'm sure they will be watching us like hawks once they're here. I'm good with that though...if I can use our education experience to be a light for the Lord in this neighborhood, then so be it!

"In the same way, let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:16

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

That's a funny story! I think you are doing a good thing for your children. Don't worry about what other people think. Keep it up.

Fifi said...

Oh yes ...... I know that look!!!!! But when I was ignorant about the whole homeschooling thing I think I made that face a couple of times too!!! It's just pure ignorance .... and we know what's best for our kids... don't we!