Monday, August 31, 2009

Who doesn't love a good book?!?

Unless you have young kids, you probably don't read many children's books. Personally, I think they're timeless. You're never too old to read a good book, regardless of how many words there are, how big those words happen to be, or how many chapters there are! Many children's books are filled with lessons about life and character building, something you don't often find in adult books. Of course you DO have to pick and choose...there are some pretty bad ones out there too, but for the most part, they are sweet and enjoyable.

Sweet-Pea and I are reading a lot of books this year for her Literature class, and already I found a couple to add to my 'favorites' list. I'm not a writer, but I will share my thoughts on what I love about these particular books.

The first book is entitled "Brave Irene"...by William Steig

From the book: "Brave Irene is Irene Bobbin, the dressmaker's daughter. Her mother, Mrs. Bobbin, isn't feeling so well and can't possibly deliver the beautiful ball gown she's made for the duchess to wear that very evening. So plucky Irene volunteers to get the gown to the palace on time, in spite of the fierce snowstorm that's brewing - quite an errand for a little girl.

But where there's a will, there's a way, as Irene proves in the danger-fraught adventure that follows. She must defy the wiles of the wicked wind, her most formidable opponent, and overcome many obstacles before she completes her mission. Surely, this winning heroine will inspire every child to cheer her on.
"

The book mentions things that made me wonder 'what was the author thinking?!?' The fact that the mother allowed her young daughter to go off on her own in the cold snowy weather to deliver a dress was a poor choice....reluctant or not. There's no way I'd allow Sweet-Pea to do that. Yikes! On top of that, the mother went to sleep for the night, now knowing where her daughter was. Hello?!? Can you cay Child Protective Services?!?

So...after I explained to Sweet-Pea how the Mother was wrong in her thinking, we got to the 'real' lesson in this book. Irene pressed on and did whatever it took to complete a task she promised she'd do, even when things went wrong. Irene was determined! This book teaches young children to work hard and to not let difficulties get in the way. Overall, it's a great book and the illustrations are very sweet! The best lesson which I incorporated into the lesson for Sweet-Pea was from Philippians 3:14. "I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."

The second book is entitled "Miss Rumphius"...by Barbara Cooney

From the book: "Alice Rumphius wanted to travel the world when she grew up, and then to live by the sea - just as her grandfather had done. But there is one more thing, he tells her: she must do something to make the world more beautiful. Young Alice does not yet know what that will be..."

What the review doesn't tell you, is that Alice traveled the world and became great friends with many people and experienced many things she wouldn't have if she never traveled. When she finally did settle down, she planted flowers, which in the end, spread all over town and made it look beautiful. This was her way of fulfilling what her grandfather asked her to do. Personally I think the story has a much deeper meaning.

There's a better lesson to be learned. We are to go out into the world and do what God wants us to do. Whether it means travel to a foreign country (as a missionary would), or to stick around home. When all is said and done the question is "How have you made an impact on others for the sake of Christ?"

"
When I reach the end of my days, a moment or two from now, I must look backward on something more meaningful than the pursuit of houses and lands and machines and stock and bonds. Nor is fame of any lasting benefit. I will consider my earthly existence to have been wasted unless I can recall a loving family, a consistent investment in the lives of people and an earnest attempt to serve the God who made me. Nothing else makes much sense." Well said Dr. James Dobson.

A couple other great books we've read... "The Library" by Sarah Stewart, "Time of Wonder" by Robert McCloskey, and "Boys and Girls of Colonial Days" by Carolyn S. Bailey.



So...why not head on over to your local library and hit the kids department just for fun. I dare you!!!

No comments: