Monday, September 08, 2008

Eew! A bug!!!

That's what Lionel said when he went to open the gate to our backyard. He was all creeped out when he put his hand only inches from it as he reached for the handle.

"What is it?" he yelled!
Being the nice comforting mom that I am, I just stood there and giggled.

"It's a Praying Mantis" I said.

"A what?!?"

Obviously we need to pull out the old books and review the section on insects. Neither of my children like bugs. I think they're SO cool, but I don't like to touch them. I always think back to the Brady Bunch when Marcia was in love with Harvy Klinger...remember him? He was the nerdy kid who loved bugs. Well, I'm not THAT bad, but I do think they're fun to look at and study.

So, before I shoo'd off the 'bug', I asked Lionel to run and grab my camera. Here's the little guy...cute huh?



He looks like a green bean with legs! Gotta love his beady little eyes huh?

Don't know much about the Praying Mantis? Here are some fun facts:
  • They are carnivores! They eat all sorts of bugs AND small animals!!
  • They can turn their heads 180 degrees to see all around them.
  • There are 2 compound eyes and 3 simple eyes on a Praying Mantis!!
  • They lie in ambush and stalk their prey...isn't there a law against that?
  • Their ears are on the underside of their thorax.
  • Close relatives to the Praying Mantis are the Cockroaches. Eeew!
  • Most live only 6 months or so, but the longest they live, is up to one year.
  • Their forelegs have sharp spines on them to grab their prey.
  • They do bite, but they cannot harm humans.
  • They like to eat each other...the female generally eats the head off of the male while they're mating and then finishes him off when they're done. No comment!
  • Praying Mantis eggs usually hold up to 200 babies.
  • The plural form of Mantis is Mantid.
  • Some Mantids can fly and you may find them on your house lights between August and September.
Did you learn anything new? I sure did. They're fascinating creatures and are extremely useful in your gardens. Can you believe that Lionel was telling me to kill the poor little guy?!? Gasp! Fortunately we were on our way out to visit my Dad, so as Lionel got in the car, I put the Mantis in the bushes. He would then have time to escape before we returned! I'd kill a spider - no problem, but this guy? No way!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there-thank you for leaving comments at my blog! Your blog is beautiful-I'm bookmarking it to read it more later. I love Sense & Sensibility, too. Holly (applesofgold)

Anonymous said...

Oh-I love the praying mantis-they are so fasinating. We went several years without seeing any, but then last Autumn, we saw a whole bunch of them! Holly

Sleepless Stitch said...

Mantid are so cool!!! We found two a while back but they weren't as green as that and they were pretty small, only a few inches or so. My middle guy stomped on one of them and I saved the other one. We were at an appointment, so went in to that and then when we came out the mantid was still there so I picked it up and we took it home...It sat on the handle door on the passengers side and road all the way home with us!! I took pictures then we set it outside our front door. It staid there for about three days before it left us.
It was the coolest thing!!

How big was that one!?! It looks HUGE!!!

Sleepless Stitch said...

Oh by the way I couldn't figure out the email thing. So if you want to email me you can...here is mine: fci_is_truth@hotmail.com
It should work because for some reason I don't always get emails through my other account.

Thank you so much for all your encouragement, it means a lot to me. :) I am feeling better today...my friend gave me some stuff for my head and it seems to be working at least to cut the edge way down. :)

Well need to get the boys fed, our girl staid with her nani and popi last night so it should be easier for school today. And I need to get the house picked up badly...that might help me feel better also to be in a clean house. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey!

I love Praying Mantid, they are real cute, but quite vicious with other insects! Hehe...

I also wouldn't think twice about killing a spider, but only if it is small... anything large - it just feels wrong! :p

Hope you're having a great day!

Anonymous said...

LOL!!!! I wrote *name* instead of *nemo* :D hahahahaha.....