Sunday, July 13, 2008

Speaking of support....

Who'd have thought that after I mentioned how important support from family is, I would actually need it so much! Last night, was supposed to be Sweet-Pea's ballet recital. As I wrote in an earlier post, we decided that it was best if she wasn't a part of it. It's a good thing we made that decision. Just before she would've had to be there, I got a phone call from the nursing home telling me that my Dad was on his way to the hospital. Here we go again!!!

He was unable to get up, and he had extremely high blood pressure which concerned them. That was the least of his problems. When they got him to the hospital and ran tests, they also found he had:
  • congestive heart failure
  • elevated potassium
  • infection in bladder
  • dehydration
  • is unable to walk

He was given nitroglycerin along with other medicines, but his blood pressure is still very high. They admitted him for observation to run tests and find out what's going on. Since he also can't walk (and is afraid to try), a physical therapist will be going in to see him tomorrow. He is extremely groggy and tired from it all, but fortunately he's not 100% alert as to what's going on around him.


All the issues we had with the nursing home wanting to transfer him we were able to resolve for the time being. I spoke with the director (after much prayer!!) and she told me that they were going to work with him. They decided that they would move him back down to the first floor and close the doors off to his wing when it was night time (when he apparently does most of his wandering). Hopefully this will work. If he actually leaves the hospital in a wheel chair, it will be very trying (and frustrating) for Dad, yet it would solve any issues of moving him out of the facility...so it's bittersweet.


We do covet your prayers! Please pray:

  • for peace & comfort for Dad
  • that God's will alone will be accomplished!!!
  • for a bit of relief for our own family - this is exhausting and very time consuming as we are the only family here for Dad
  • for our children - we will be starting our homeschool year on Aug. 4th and our time seems to be consumed with issues regarding Dad. Phone calls come every day and stress levels are high!
  • Pray for God to show us clearly how to make decisions for Dad as his health seems to continue in a downward spiral.
Thank you all so very much for your prayers. I am at peace with whatever God wants to happen in Dad's life. I just want Dad to feel comfort and peace as he goes through this difficult stage of his life. He is a strong Christian man and I know that one day he will walk with our heavenly Father in heaven - what a joy that will be!!! He also will be reunited with my Mom who died 7 years ago from breast cancer.

"Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you;
he will never let the righteous fall."

Psalm 55:22

In His time,

1 comment:

ByHISgoodGrace said...

Hello. I am so sorry about all this. Your faith in the Lord shines through, in the midst of this trial. I promise to keep your family in prayer...praying the requests you posted.
Romans 8:28