Thursday, March 13, 2008

My young artists....

I've been really taking time lately to study my children...their likes, their dislikes, and their passions. It seems as if art is a biggie for them both!

Lionel has had a passion for trains for a LONG time! He also loves anything to do with NASCAR, dogs, the violin, and drawing. One thing I noticed lately though, is that he always seems to have a pencil and paper in his hand when he has free time. What's he doing with them? He's drawing. He draws a lot of trains, but now that NASCAR season has begun again, it's all about the cars! Here are a few I just picked off his school desk and snapped a photo of...



I'm thinking that I should get a 3 ring binder with page protectors so he can keep his collection all in one place. Any time we go visit my Dad at the nursing home, Lionel brings paper with him to draw a few pictures for Dad's bulletin board. It's overflowing with artwork from the kids and PaPa loves it!

Sweet-Pea has a passion for ballet, American Girl dolls, fish and horses. She also LOVES to do crafts. Lately she's been painting quite a bit. The other day I came into the school room and saw her working on 2 ceramic horses all by herself. She amazes me. Notice the concentration:





Here is the finished product. Not bad for a 6 year old! She really took her time and worked on the details. She did better than I ever could!! She said that the hooves are green because the horses are walking in grass.


I think it's time to plan another trip to the local art museum...one of our favorite family activities!!! Both kids actually pay attention to the various art pieces, read the inscriptions and take the time to appreciate the artist. Gotta love it when they enjoy learning!!!

This year in our homeschool group, we're having a big art fair. The kids are SO excited about it. There are 10 mediums in which they can create and enter pieces for: pencil drawings, water color, sculpture/ceramics, painting, photography/b&w, photography/color, jewelry making, chalk/charcoal, diorama and woodworking. I know they want to enter several pieces. When they complete them, I'll post photos.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your artists are doing a fabulous job! My son (looking over my shoulder) saw Lionel's car drawing and said "Cool drawings- How awesome!" He loves to draw also- mostly car inventions and Webkin land. The horses are beautifully done by SweetPea. If she is doing that at 6, how amazing she will be even by 10. Tell them they are doing a great job. That art show will be a great event.
Your (secret) sister

ByHISgoodGrace said...

Your kids have talent! The way you've nurtured them is awesome!
I love the horses and the drawings!