Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Squirrels....what's the purpose?!?

I really hate squirrels! Don't get me wrong here...I think they're very cute to look at, but they are so pesky!!! My reason for this outburst? I'm sick of them attacking the cute birds out back at our bird feeders! They not only scare them away, they literally sit on our porch and wait for them before they make their move!! Check out this little guy...he's watching! He stayed in this position for at least 2 minutes just watching the birds!



I am a bird lover...can you tell? I enjoy watching them, especially when I'm in the kitchen doing dishes...I can see the feeders right outside the window above the sink. Sweet-Pea and I have been studying birds in her Zoology science class this year, which has definitely increased my passion....and has started hers. Unfortunately, it has also increased my hatred for squirrels. I know, it's a harsh word for such a 'cute' little animal, but the ones around here are just really mean!!!

Looks are deceiving!!!!




OK...so what on earth do we do about those pesky squirrels that keep eating the bird seed out of the "squirrel-proof" bird feeders we have in our yard?!? I don't want to hurt them, but I also don't want them to scare off the beautiful birds we see. Some gorgeous birds feast on our feeders....blue jay's, cardinals, oriels, woodpeckers, sparrows, morning doves and many more. Most of our friendly feathered friends are down south right now, but I know they're coming back, and I don't want them moving away because their territory was invaded by squirrels. Any advice? Don't even get me started on the neighbor's cat - the one that left me a few surprises on our porch this past year...oh the horror!!! My only consolation in that department is that we're going to be getting a dog this month...."here kitty kitty!!" (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

1 comment:

Lexie said...

Hi!!
Just popped over to let you know that I am back online. You can read my update on homeschoolblogger. I hope you and your family are doing well.

Love mlpinky