I'm doubly excited about it this year because we're taking Lionel and Sweet-Pea with us. The fair we attend is about an hour away. We could go up for just one day, but the fair lasts all day Friday right through to the end of Saturday, so it's worth making a weekend event out of it. In previous years, Edward and I would go up alone for a nice romantic weekend, but we figured that this year we would make it a family event. There's not a whole lot of time for romance anyhow when picking through books all weekend long! hee hee I'm actually excited about having the kids along this year...it'll be fun to see their reactions at all the vendors and books available to them.
If you've never been to a homeschool convention, here are a few hints I'd like to share with you...
- Take a quick walk-through when you first enter the vendor hall...they're usually overwhelming and if you know what lies ahead, you won't be foolish and spend all your money in the first aisle. Make a plan of attack!
- Bring your own bags or even a suitcase with wheels (the kind airline pilots use) so you don't feel bogged down with all your purchases. Many convention sites have a baggage check-in so you don't have to carry it all around, but a rolling suitcase or large shoulder bag does help!
- Be prepared with a list of your favorite curricula - look at those first and before you make any purchases, go and check out all the other vendors to see if another curriculum suits you better. Don't go with your blinders on...look around...open up books and read through them. Look at the scope and sequence. Most importantly, speak with the representatives...yes, they are there to sell you their items (I have yet to come in contact with someone who has been pushy and tried to 'sell us' on something), but they are also quite knowledgeable about what they're selling. Many times you'll find the creator of that particular curriculum there as well.
- Bring a notebook and pen/pencil for taking notes during the various seminars they usually offer. At the fair we attend, you are able to purchase audio cd's of the speakers which is wonderful. If you don't have time to hear every seminar on your list, buy the cd instead...but buy the ones that interest you most so you can refer back to them over and over again. When you're done, donate them to your homeschool group library if you have one.
- Bring a calculator and notepad so you can keep tabs on your purchases - as homeschoolers, many of us are one-income families so money is tight. Be careful not to overspend...it's so easy to do with all the 'goodies' around..and I don't mean food!
- Grab a brochure from each vendor if you're able to. Bring them back to share with others in your homeschool group who may not have been able to attend.
- Get on every mailing list you can...some of you may not agree, but in my opinion, the more options you get in the mail for homeschooling ideas and curriculum the better. You can always opt out later on with most companies by sending a quick email. You'll even find coupons and some freebies this way!
- You may want to carry a bottle of water with you...although if I had to make a choice between carrying a few extra books or my water, I'd put the water down in a heartbeat!
- Don't go alone!! I highly recommend going with your spouse if that's possible, but if not, go with a homeschool friend.
- Pray! Pray! Pray! This is key. Don't jump into the convention without first going to God about the gazillion decisions you'll have to make. Pray that He will guide you and will help you make wise choices for your family.
- This important tip I learned quickly...don't go home with 'just' books for your children. Buy them something fun to play with. Some items we've purchased in previous years include: stuffed puppet animals, a huge wooden map puzzle of the USA (4'x6'), various board games, audio books, coloring books, dolls and more. The ideas are endless and most likely what you'll purchase will be very educational.
- Keep in mind who you are there for and what your purpose is!!!
2 comments:
I'm counting the days to my homeschool convention too. I vividly remember my first time and the feeling of overwhelming "I can't choose!" I am glad that I had a seasoned homeschooler with me who gave me a "tour" first before I even attempted to buy something.
Love mlpinky
All fantastic tips! We attended our state convention a few times, but then it got too pricey for us. What we spent for the hotel and convention fees for just three nights would pay for a great week long vacation elsewhere. I now attend a much smaller convention held in March. There aren't a lot of offerings vendor-wise, but it's helpful and I can order other things I need online.
Post a Comment