When we got home, we researched it and found it to be a burl. Call me ignorant, but I had never heard of such a thing...that is...until I realized that burl wood items come from these 'funny growths' on trees. I have heard of burl wood...but never knew where it came from.
I found this on wisegeek.com:
"Burl wood is highly prized by artists because of its unique shapes and ring patterns. Burl wood is a type of fast growing, abnormal growth found on some trees. Burl wood grows because the tree has experienced some sort of environmental stress or damage. This is often caused by either a fungal attack or an attack by insects. The number of trees that produce burl wood is quite low....certain types of burl wood are more rare and prized than others."
So...the kids and I learned something new today on the ride to visit Dad. (See...you don't have to be home in a 'classroom' to learn things.) Now every time we drive by that tree, we'll know what it is that's sticking out, and we'll smile for being that much smarter!It's still pretty gross to look at though!
3 comments:
This isn't very kind, but usually my "what in the world" moments come from PEOPLE not TREES. What great pictures! I'm praying for you and your Dad.
Oh you are too funny!! I hear you though...I have those "what in the world" moments too. Hugs, and thanks for the prayers!!
Wow, that is amazing, I don't think I've ever seen a growth on a tree like that! Nice photography too. It really does look like a creature is just going to lift its head! heee heee
Post a Comment